WHO CAN APPLY?
- Principal investigators (PI), Researchers (excluding foreign researchers) and Consultants:
- should have PhD degree / specialty in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine/proficiency in art and should be permanent/full-time staff (except for retirees and postdoctoral researchers not working in any institution/organization) of the institution (higher education institutions, public institutions or private institutions) where the project will be carried out,
- should apply within 7 years following the date of; doctorate degree / specialty in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine / proficiency in art, (The date of doctorate degree for the person who will apply as a principal investigator in 2022 cannot be earlier than 01.01.2015. Within the mentioned time period, in case of a woman researcher goes on maternity leave; if the relevant maternity document or identity certificate of child is sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by e-mail in the attachment of a relevant petition, 1 year is added to this time period for each birth.)
- should have an academic title of associate professor and below,
- should not receive CAREER fund from TÜBİTAK previously,
- should participate in the panel in order to make a presentation about the project and to answer the questions that may be asked in the panel where the project proposal will be evaluated, in case the project is evaluated scientifically (If the principal investigator does not attend the panel on the specified date, except for force majeure, the panel process is interrupted and the project is returned.)
Researchers or consultants in project team (*);
· should have four years of university undergraduate education at least.
Researchers or consultants in project team (except retirees) should be permanent staff of the contributory institution/organization (university, public institution, private institution) where they are working.
Principal investigator, researchers and consultants (except foreign researchers and foreign consultants) should reside in Turkey (Non-Turkish citizens can be principal investigator/researcher/consultant in a project if they are working in an institution/organization located in Turkey.)
Person who has academic title of professor cannot take part in projects as researcher.
A person who has a contribution less than 10% of the project workload cannot be researcher in projects but can be consultant. A consultant (*) is allowed if the project requires special expertise on a specific subject. The number of consultants in a project is limited to the number of specific subjects in the project. The role of consultant in the project should be explained in detail in the project proposal.
Retirees who do not work in any organization can take part in the project team as PI, researcher or consultant and post-doctoral researchers can take part in the project team as PI, provided that they do not receive Project Incentive Bonus (PTI). (In accordance with paragraph 2 in Article 16 of The Law on the Establishment of The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, only those who are permanent staff of public institutions or organizations can be paid PTI.) In order for the retirees and post-doctoral researchers to become PI, it is necessary them to get approval on that they can take part in the project from the senior authority of the institution / organization where the project will be carried out.
People working in TÜBİTAK Headquarters / Institutes cannot take part as PI / researchers / consultants in the projects proposed under this program.
TÜBİTAK ARDEB Governing Board and Advisory Board members can be PI or researcher, but they cannot be consultant (**) if they are still working in those positions during the application.
B. Foreign Researchers
The requirements for foreign researchers (researchers who are not residing in Turkey) to take part in projects and the rules about payments are listed below:
· In supported projects, foreign / Turkish researchers residing abroad may take part as researchers, provided that they work in the project for 30 days or more, including the trip during each visit, with legal obligations belonging to the institution where the project is carried out,
· The foreign researcher who will take part in the project should be able to carry out and lead/guide a part of the project in which the competence of researchers in our country is limited, in the institutions of our country with the project team.
· The travel expenses of the researchers in question and 50% of the full-time monthly gross fees they receive abroad in the same period of time, for the time they took part in the Project, are covered as service cost from the project. If the 50% of the full-time monthly gross fee that the researcher receives abroad is less than the “2221-Konuk veya Akademik İzinli (Sabbatical) Bilim İnsanı Destekleme Programı” coordinated by BİDEB, the highest monthly fee provided under that program is used.
· These researchers can take part in more than one project supported by TÜBİTAK however they can get fee only from one project. The number of foreign researchers that can take part in a project is limited to one.
"Students" continuing their undergraduate and graduate (Master's and Doctorate) education in higher education institutions in Turkey (except for special students and prep students) or “Research Assistants” with student status and post-doc researchers can take part as scholar in projects.
Individuals who have already got a scholarship from BİDEB or other public institutions can get scholarship from the projects. However, the total amount of monthly scholarship from all sources (ARDEB, BİDEB, other public institutions) cannot exceed project monthly scholarship upper limits decided by Governing Board of TÜBİTAK for that year. It is not possible to be a scholar simultaneously in two different projects funded under any support program of TÜBİTAK.
Undergraduate scholars should not work in any institution. If the student fails the class, scholarship is stopped. At most 4 undergraduate students can take part in one project as an undergrad-scholar simultaneously.
The requirements to be a post-doc researcher scholar;
· Scholar should have a PhD but not work in any institution/organization,
· Scholar should not have an academic title of associate professor or higher,
· The period between the date of obtaining the doctorate/ specialty in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine/proficiency in arts degree and the date when the person will be assigned within the scope of the project (request date) should not be more than 7 years (within the mentioned time period, in case of a woman researcher goes on maternity leave; if the relevant maternity document or identity certificate of child is sent to email@example.com by e-mail in the attachment of a relevant petition, 1 year is added to this time period for each birth.).
The requirements for foreign graduate scholars;
- should be under 30 years old for MS students (***)
- should be under 35 years old for PhD students (***)
WHO CANNOT BE PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR?
The highest level managers of the public institutions/organizations, deputies and assistants of them (Rector, Vice Rector, Chief Physician, Deputy Chief Physician, Hospital Director, Minister, Deputy Minister, General Manager, Deputy General Manager, Provincial Director of National Education, etc.) cannot act as PI if they are still working in those positions during the application, but they can be researchers in 3 (****) projects at most.
Conditions to Apply for ARDEB-BİDEB Programs simultaneously (Table)
Limits for taking part in projects (Table)
(*) Consultant: researcher or expert whose knowledge is used for a secondary subject of project, requiring special expertise.
(**) TÜBİTAK ARDEB Governing Board and Advisory Board members can take part in projects submitted to calls opened within the scope of European Union Framework Programs (projects where joint evaluation is carried out by international independent reviewers) as consultants.
(***) As of the first day of application year, the specified ages should not be exceeded. (within the mentioned time period, in case of a woman researcher goes on maternity leave; if the relevant maternity document or identity certificate of child is sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by e-mail in the attachment of a relevant petition, 1 year is added to this time period for each birth.).
(****) International projects, 1000 and 1002 projects are not included in quota.